Sunday, December 22, 2019

Lucy's Diabetes

 The week after Lucy's birthday she got sick with the flu.  She was home from school for a couple of days, but we felt she never fully recovered from it.  She started losing weight, going to the bathroom a lot, super emotional, and was thirsty all the time.  I knew something was wrong, but I just thought she was still recovering from the flu.  One evening Mike commented to me that he was worried too.  It was just what I needed to really get the ball rolling in figuring out what was wrong with her.  I looked up her symptoms and all her symptoms pointed to Diabetes.  The next morning we woke up and we took her to the insta care to voice our concern and have her blood sugars checked.  Her blood sugar was at 330 at 8am.  They told us to immediately take her to Phoenix Children's, Lucy had diabetes.  We took her straight to the ER.  Mike and I were trying to be strong for Lucy, but we both her devasted inside for our sweet little girl.  She was diagnosed with diabetes at the hospital and admitted into the ICU.

I had some pretty incredible spiritual experiences while at the hospital.  I knew that the Savior was aware of Lucy and of this trial, she would go through.  I felt his arms around me that day and felt the enabling power of the atonement strengthen me in my ability to take care of her as her mother.  I felt the power of covenants that I had made and that Lucy had made at her baptism that gave us power to be strong and knowledgeable about managing Diabetes.  How grateful I am for Savior and his grace!
 Lucy spent a couple of hours in the ICU so they could monitor her and get her stable.  That night she was moved to the diabetes floor.
 This was Lucy the next morning.  All smiles and looking and feeling so much better with her blood sugars in better control.  We woke up and jumped into Diabetes training.  The nurses and doctors at the hospital were amazing and patient with us as we learned.
 Lucy loved Phoenix Children's.  She got gifts, crafts, watched movies, and got to meet a professional Soccer player down in the game room.  It was an incredible place to be for a couple of days.

Here was our learning board.  This is how we would figure out how much insulin to give Lucy.

No comments: