Monday, August 8, 2011

Brighton Girl's Camp

Brighton Camp had an open house so, I took up the family to show them where I worked for a Summer. I worked up at the camp the summer of 1997. I was 19 years old and this job was a huge challenge for me. I was a counselor to 12 and 13 year old girls and I learned a lot about listening to the spirit and learning about the love that Heavenly Father has for his daughters. Being up in the mountains was a so fun and I met other great counselors that left huge impressions on me.

View from the rock where we would have the flag ceremonies in the evenings. You can see the Mickey mouse on the mountain in the distance.



The Barn where the counselors could hang out and get away from the craziness of camp sometimes.














We got some cute pictures of the kids playing on the big rock.



















































So, for years all the camp counselors paint their camp names on the walls where they roomed over the summer. My camp name was Cricket and of course my great friend Lucky ( Lori) is right by me.

















We met the Derricks up at the camp and it was so fun to see them again. Lori was my best pal up at camp and I really don't know what I would have done without having a good laugh with her on the hard days. We both roomed in the Knotty Pine at some point while at camp.












Lori and I would always talk about how we wanted out kids to be friends someday. Well, here they are! Don't they look like friends? By the end of the evening they all got along and were playing. Eliza still talks about Ella and she says, " Ella is the cutest!" Abby, Ella, Anne, Jason, and Kate








Every Monday morning we would get a new group of girls coming up for camp. They would have to haul their luggage up Hernia Hill. They would complain the whole way up each and every girl. Here are my kids hiking up the hill.






I also stayed in the Indian Paint Brush cabin. The cabins are so cute but, very loud and noisy at night with all those girls. Every night either a girl was homesick, throwing up, or couldn't sleep. I guess in some ways it prepared me for motherhood because I can't remember the last time I had a good nights sleep.







Lori and I with our kids minus Lori's Lucy. We both have a baby named Lucy!






The year of '97 as a staff while hiking we found this courageous sign. We mounted it on this post in the middle of camp and signed our names on it.







Anne and Eliza hanging out on one of the bunk beds. These girls are ready for girl's camp!





Our family at Brighton Camp. It is so pretty up there!






Cricket and Lucky! It was so much fun to see the Derricks. We had a picnic after and just enjoyed talking with them.



































1 comment:

thederricks said...

It was so much fun to see you guys!!! Can't wait to get together again!